Retail Sales & Studio Assistant
Part- or Full-time Hourly
Under the general direction of the Creative Manager, this Retail Sales & Studio Assistant provides front-line support and is the first point of contact for repeat customers and new visitors to Workshop Residence, a unique retail shop and design/fabrication space located in the Dogpatch neighborhood of San Francisco.
This person will support the vision of Workshop Residence, which is to collaborate with artists and designers, supporting material exploration, design, and fabrication, partnering with local manufacturers to make functional objects, by performing a variety of critical functions including: opening and closing the retail shop, engaging with customers, and managing Workshop Residence’s inventory, point-of-sale system, online shop, as well as packaging, shipping, and receiving, and related communication with artists/designers and vendors.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone self-motivated and interested in working as part of a small team that supports local, national, and international artists and designers with a diverse range of projects. This position offers a platform for someone interested in learning about retail, design/fabrication and manufacturing, or public programming.
- Develop and maintain thorough knowledge of artists, designers, fabricators, materials, and processes behind each Workshop Residence product;
- Greet customers and drive sales;
- Fulfill online orders;
- Track and manage inventory;
- Manage main Workshop Residence email account, mailing list, and Facebook page, and support external communication via Instagram and MailChimp;
- Communicate with collaborating artists/designers and vendors;
- Support management of online store, including the following:
- Update product information and images;
- Update shop hours and information;
- Support visual merchandising;
- Organize, clean, take out the trash, etc.
- Assist with coordination and presentation of artist/designer talks, workshops, and events;
GRAPHIC DESIGN RESPONSIBILITIES (a plus):
- Design promotional materials for workshops, events, and product launches;
- Retouch and silo photos for web and print;
- Digitally render product designs, product mock-ups;
- Develop consistent branding through packaging design, signage, and hangtags
- Generally available to work Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. plus select evenings and weekends as needed; part-time/flex scheduling negotiable;
- Previous experience in retail, art/design, customer service, or a public-facing setting performing related duties, preferably in an open work environment;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills;
- Attention to detail, with strong organizational and time management skills;
- Must be self-motivated and possess well-rounded problem solving skills;
- Must be highly flexible and able to work both independently and as part of a small team with a rotating, diverse group of artists/designers;
- Ability to work within deadlines with multiple interruptions in a dynamic environment;
- Experience with point-of-sale systems and working knowledge of graphic design tools a plus;
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Please submit a cover letter and resume/CV, and at least three professional references by email to: email@example.com
If you are unable to provide three professional references, please provide a minimum of two, and either a personal or academic reference.
While we encourage you to visit our shop before applying, we are not accepting hand-delivered applications.
Applicant screening begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.